Thursday, January 13, 2011

Comparing Tragedies

First blog entry. Not sure how much I'll attend to this blog, but I just want to get some extra practice for my writing classes. 

Today in my ENGL 210 (Creative Fiction) class we were told to write somethings that stuck out to us in this article. The article is about the tragic events of January 8th, 2011. The shooting that took place in a Safeway in Tucson, Arizona.

While reading the article I immediately thought that it was ironic that the shooting took place in a grocery story called SAFEway. Nothing of importance there, but perhaps interesting? Something that was interesting to me was how every individual is effected differently by a tragedy. I remember what I was doing when I heard about the shooting, and it sort of stunned me to think that everyone has their own story about where they were and what they were doing when a tragedy falls upon us. I'm sure all of you remember where you were when the first plane struck the first tower on September 11th, 2001. I was in the 6th grade, sitting in Mrs. Castollie's (spelling?) classroom watching the morning announcements. Suddenly, the anchor of the announcements directed all the teachers to change the channel to the local news station. For that entire day, my classmates and I sat around watching the events unfold before our very eyes. Similar to 9/11, I remember exactly what I was doing, and what I did after I received news of the Tucson Tragedy.


Agree/Disagree? Do you remember what you were doing and when?

1 comment:

  1. 9/11 before I left for work that day, i got a call about 7:30 a.m. that my grandmother had died. then i went to work ... i was in the car with one of jj/s clients out at the southwood office complex when the first news came in ... standing in a bagel shop ordering bagels for the office ... on a small tv screen hanging from the ceiling i watched with strangers as the 2nd tower fell before our eyes. we spent the day at the office watching the news and trying to figure out how to get our client back to his home since all flights were cancelled and rental car agencies sold out.

    1/8 seemed too distant and far away for a couple seconds ... then realized you lived there. looked up the site and your house on google earth after trying to call you. yes, ironic it was at a "safe"way, and that the girl who was killed was born on 9/11.

    ReplyDelete